Friday, July 13, 2012

Pyramid of the Sun


X-FLARE!   Big sunspot AR1520 unleashed an X1.4-class solar flare on July 12th. Because the sunspot is directly facing Earth, everything about the blast was geoeffective. For one thing, it hurled a coronal mass ejection (CME) directly toward our planet.

According to analysts at the Goddard Space Weather Lab, the CME will hit Earth on July 14th around 10:20 UT (+/- 7 hours) and could spark strong geomagnetic storms.

The UV pulse partially ionized Earth's upper atmosphere, disturbing the normal propagation of radio signals around the planet. Monitoring stations in Norway, Ireland and Italy recorded the sudden ionospheric disturbance.

Finally, solar protons accelerated by the blast are swarming around Earth. The radiation storm, in progress, ranks "S1" on NOAA space weather scales, which means it poses no serious threat to satellites or astronauts. This could change if the storm continues to intensify.

Source: Space Weather.com


2 comments:

LVB said...

Wow, that's pretty amazing!!

It looks almost hotter there than where I live - almost!!! ;)

You really need to see the movie Sunshine - I think you'd really enjoy it on many levels. Most of all, the sci-fi geek within you would be very impressed!

Penny said...

Hi Marie
and LVB

I used your info on the alleged Cyprus bomber for a post yesterday, geez, what a mess.
Now the Bulgaria bombing?
Bulgaria?

Like where did that come from?

As for the solar flares, I have been following that ongoing firestorm

It has been hotter and drier then I can ever recall where I live
(Canada)
In fact it is pretty much a drought

I know the sun is in a really active phase, hence all the solar flares...
Until 2013?

at this point in time I am prepared to try a rain dance!!
I think the neighbours may think me crazy, but, the rain is what we need